Friday, February 20, 2009

Open Topic. High School Rankings and Location

Below is a link for the bottom ranked public high schools in New Jersey.
http://www.schooldigger.com/go/NJ/schoolrank.aspx?pagetype=bottom10

Below is an article on the number one ranked public high school in new jersey.
http://njmonthly.com/articles/towns_and_schools/highschoolrankings/millburn-high-school-ranks-best-in-nj.html

The reason I bring this up is because three schools in Newark made the list for worst in state. Dayton, Avon, and Martin Luther King.
The second article discusses Millburn High School (my home town) and how great its school system is. These schools are too close for such a discrepancy. How does this happen?
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Millburn&1s=NJ&2c=Newark&2s=NJ

As you can see these schools are a mere 7.5 miles apart. I grew up 7.5 miles from Newark yet have only been in the center of Newark twice. Its hard for me to understand why this metaphorical wall has been put up between two places so close.

3 comments:

  1. The high school ranking page was pretty interesting. The high school I attended Ridegfield Memorial, is actually ranked a little better than I though it would be. I feel I recieved an adequate education except in math. This puts weight on where I will send my children to shool one day. I wonder if my parents considered the ranking of the school for my brother's and my education or simply sent us there because my whole family on both sides attended that school district....

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good blog topic. I also was interested in the rankings and like you I struggle with why there are such telling differences. (I am from Livingston).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woooow the school ranking link that you provided to us was very intersting!! It shows how location means everything when it comes to having the best education. Newark and Camden schools were at the bottom of the list and I think that its horrible. This proves that something is truly wrong with the education system in the inner cities (or is there a problem with the people?). I just would like to know how to change education in the inner city and make it much better. But, thanks for the info, may have to use it for later research!!

    ReplyDelete