Monday, May 4, 2009

Abstract Summary of Project Findings

“Hispanics are the United States’ largest and fastest growing minority group and overall the least educated ethnic group.” (McCaffrey)  Why does an achievement gap exist between Hispanic students and other groups and how can we as teachers close this gap?  My research was aimed at this critical education problem that the US faces.  My study included literary research with statistical data.  In addition, it included first hand contact with minority neighborhoods in Newark and interviews with educators from the Newark school system.

            My statistical research showed that Hispanic students have low standardized test scores, high high school dropout rates, and few four-year college enrollment rates.  It also revealed reasons for this poor performance.  The most enlightening part of my research took me into the inner city of Newark.  I visited the neighborhoods that house Barringer and Westside High in Newark.  While visiting the area I spoke with inner city Hispanic students and interviewed a Newark public school administrator regarding these issues.  The combination of statistical data and fact, along with first hand exposure of this Hispanic environment, rendered me a new insight into minority education.  I learned about the Hispanic weaknesses inherent in minority culture and the possible options to change these weaknesses.  Improving Hispanic education performance needs to be a goal in US education.

2 comments:

  1. I've also been in the Westside and Barringer neighborhoods, and though I've driven through before, was surprised at the state of disrepair that I saw on foot. Your focus on the fastest growing minority group was a key one, since in order to be effective, schools will have to be able to reach this set of students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this was some great research!! I never knew that the the Hispanic students had high drop out rates. While living in Newark, I always seem to always hear about the dropout rates of the black students. This is interesting. Good stuff!!

    ReplyDelete